Address: 501 W. Atlantic Street, Appleton, Wisconsin.
History: In 1925, the city of Appleton bought another ravine, the northern end of the one that runs through Jones Park. This property was also earmarked for a park, for the residents of the fifth ward. Named Arbutus, the park was enjoyed by the neighborhood children, but was left undeveloped for many years.
In the early 1950's, playground equipment, fireplaces and benches were finally installed. In the early 1960's the park's future was threatened by a proposal to use the ravine for a dump, to fill it in and bring it up to street level. Fortunately that plan was defeated.
[Post~Crescent 17-Jul-1953 Pg.3]
[Post~Crescent 31-Jul-1925 Pg.2]
Basket Ball Court
Email comments to email@example.com